Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Years

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've made an update here. There's a number of reasons for that, some of which are actually not pure laziness on my part for once. Early last year I started taking some professional translation work. Part of the agreement when I started was that I was going to have to give up fansubbing. The plan, at the time, was to put out a few last things to try and give some closure to my projects then, after that, retire from fansubbing.

Obviously, this has not happened yet. Between work and school, I've been distracted from getting around to those releases and a good amount of time has passed. At the moment, I'm still pretty busy, so I don't expect to have anything out in the next month. However, it being New Years, I figured I should let you all know where things stand on our main projects.

Aim for the Ace - This is actually at a good stopping point. I had bought the Blu-Ray for the movie with the intent of doing it, but there's a nice encode of that out now. ILA subs for the movie are pretty bad in spots, but not unwatchable. Hopefully someone else will pick up the OVAs. (Apologies to the person who sent me raws for those. If it's any consolation, the Black Jack short you were asking about has been translated and released here.)

Babel II - Not being able to get this done is one of my biggest regrets. I love this show. There will be a couple more releases of this. I intend to put out the last two episodes of the first season (25 and 26) which should give closure to the story for those who are watching it. Episode 12 was more than half-translated, so maybe that too, but it'll depend on how much time I have between now and the release.

Baldios - Dropping the TV series. To be honest, this would probably have taken forever to get done even if I hadn't had to stop. It's a decent show, but I just don't love it the way I do Babel II. Watch the movie if you want to know how it ends. We -may- do a v2 of the movie. Being one of the first things I ever translated, the subs could use a translation check and editing pass.
Dodgy has R2 DVDs for most of this show, so anyone who wants to take over doing the TV series should probably pester him for raws.

Mars - This has always been our least popular project, but it's close enough to the end that it's going to get finished. The show is, admittedly, kind of bad so I know no one else will pick it up if I drop it. Also, no one in their right mind would ever license this, so I have no reason to feel bad about finishing it.

Random Other Stuff - There were a number of random side projects that I had been toying around with, but most of those have so little done on them that I can't justify finishing them. I don't think anyone but me had done any work on them (or in many cases even knew they existed), so I don't feel bad about shelving them. It's probably safe to assume anything I've mentioned wanting to work on but that hasn't been released yet falls under this category.

At the moment, I'm thinking I'll do the remaining releases as a big batch on the fourth anniversary of this blog in May. So, if there's something I owe any of you that I'm forgetting, let me know before then and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, also, since I never did a release post for it here, I should mention we released the Layzner OVAs in cooperation with /m/subs a while back. Release post for those is here.

10 comments:

  1. Ya know... I really liked Baldios. I thought the show and its premise was really good. Maybe someone will pick it up and continue subbing Baldios... whom I like to think as the "Captain Planet of the Super Robots".

    I wish you best of luck in whatever comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the luck with your future prospects, Iriliane!

    I was wondering what happened to BlueFixer, so I guess this explains it. I knew some of the side-projects you were planning to do, so I am a little sad, oh well...
    Glad to hear you're going to try to finish some things up.

    -Rokuro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, real life takes its toll on all otakus at one point or another.
    Glad to hear that it's in a good way for you, though.

    All of your work so far is a great legacy (finished or unfinished), and there will be plenty of us waiting in case you can return to the work in the future.

    Best wishes for you and your translation work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly, Hokuto No Gun / HappyScans have teamed up to sub the Mars anime. It's a shame about Baldios, I was enjoying it, even if I knew how it would all end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know what your plans are this Summer but Id pay you to sub Shin Ace o Nera by the end of July. Im sure if I spread the word, a gang of us would all be willing to pitch in money for your hard efforts. The magic of so many shows is ever so far w/o a translation. Time is money so we're willing to pay(I know I am and I want to finish the second season by summer). email me please and let me know what you think: jamlimited3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We wants more ace wo nerae! (2nd series and the 2 OVAs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to see the movies in the future..

    ReplyDelete